St. Anselm's school had its humble begining in the year 1904.
The many Catholic employees in the Railway workshops not only in
Ajmer but around Ajmer, had several time asked the Head of the Catholic
Mission to open a High School for their boys and girls.Therefore, in the begining,
this school was open mainly for the small catholic population in and around
The Convent High school, which had been established some ten
years before, would admit boys only up to Std. II and the boys had
either to attend the European Railway school teaching up to the High
School Exam; the Allahabad University or had to join the boarding
schools at Agra to the North East, Nagpur to the South East, Bombay to
the South, and Karachi to the west; all, indeed rather far, and these
employees could not dream of sending their children to the Hill Schools.
The Perfect Apostolic of Rajputana ( Rt. Rev. Fr. Fortunatus,
later the first Bishop of Ajmer, ) decided to start a Catholic School
and accordingly on 4th. Feb. 1904, St. Anselm's was opened as a boarding
and day school, with Rev. Fr. Pius as its head. There were about fifty
pupils, a dozen being boarders. The new school was the "Boys" section of
the Convent. For three years it was officially considerd as a section of
the Convent but in January 1907 the school took a corporate existence.
Rev. Fr. Pius become its First Rector and Rev. Fr. Augustine and Gervais
continued on the staff/Fr. Gervais taking over, the additional duties as
Perfect of Discipline, Boys were prepared for the examination of the
Allahabad University till about 1912, when the Cambridge syllabus was
The beginnings were very unpretentious. Everything was contained
in one building: the Fathers' quarters, the boarder's dormitory, a
hall, a dinning room, as well as the class rooms. The school had no play
ground worth mentioning. In 1910, however a piece of land suitable for
the purpose was bought on the Mayo College road and games started in
right earnest and St. Anselm's began to make itself felt in the sphere
of all sports. From the very beginning St. Anselm's met with ready
sympathies not only in Rajputana, but even far beyond its boundaries.
Boys flocked to St. Anselm's from Bombay, Lahore, Hyderabad (Sind),
Karachi, Delhi, Rewari, Bandikui, Jaipur, Phulera, Mhow, Ratlam, Neemuch
etc. and in time to come even from the Persian Gulf and before many
years passed St. Anselm's had made a name for itself, and applications
came from many more quarters.
Since then the school has never looked back. It has grown in
every sense of the word. In 1958, the school was affiliated to the
Rajasthan Board of Education. On two occasions the school was awarded
the State award ( Madan Mohan Verma Award ) for the best results and all
round performance. In 1972, the school was affiliated to the Central
Board of Education. The Hostel which housed student from all over India
was closed down in 1985. The school presently is a Senior Secondary
school, affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi,
though it has seen phases of being attached to various Boards and
University and being an Inter College and whatever the time demanded.